Our club is affiliated to BirdLife South Africa which is the leading bird conservation organisation in South Africa. As a club, we actively support the conservation initiatives undertaken by BirdLife South Africa whenever and wherever possible. We encourage our members to become direct members of BLSA as well as to consider becoming BLSA Conservation League members as well.
Over the years we have undertaken our own conservation projects with funding from our reserves and membership income.
We are currently involved in supporting the following conservation projects:
- Wonderboom Urban Verreaux’s Eagle Project – this project is run by Pieter and Natasja Saunders and focusses on the protection of the pair of Verreaux’s Eagles which breed on an annual basis at the Wonderboom Nature Reserve. http://blackeagleswb.com/
- Blouberg Cape Vulture Project-The project focuses on monitoring the 1100+ breeding pairs of Cape Vultures that use the colony to breed. Another vital component of project activities is the recovery, support, tagging and release of grounded Cape Vulture fledglings in the first 6 months after these young birds have left the nest. They are collected and kept in a suitable enclosure built by the Friends of Blouberg where they are assessed, treated if necessary, fed and released once they have sufficiently recovered condition. http://www.bloubergreserve.co.za
- BLSA Bird of the Year- our club sponsored the poster that was issued for the Lappet-faced Vulture which was 2017’s bird of the year. The poster was designed to highlight the plight of all our vulture species which face so many threats and are seriously endangered. http://www.birdlife.org.za/events/bird-of-the-year
- Citizen Science Projects- we encourage our members to participate in the South African Bird Atlas Project run by the Animal Demography Unit (SABAP2), the Co-ordinated Waterbird Counts (CWAC), as well as Co-ordinated Avifaunal Road Counts (CAR).
- Bird Ringing-our club has a very active ringing group which operates under the regulations of the South African Bird Ringing Unit (SAFRING). http://safring.adu.org.za/
- Support of WESSA Friends Groups in our area- we assist these Friends Groups by offering to lead bird outings in their conservation areas as well as supporting their other activities such as clean-ups and bird monitoring. http://wessa.org.za/get-involved/join-a-branch-or-friends-group